Podencos are a type of dog, normally used for hunting, of ancient origins. Today there are many breeds of podencos throughout the Mediterranean. These dogs have many things to tell us; know the more interesting curiosities and the varieties of breeds of podencos that exist:
1. They are first cousins of greyhounds:
2. They are generally immune to the mosquito disease, Leishmaniasis:
-It is unknown why, but usually not affected this sickness. Genetically can be carriers, but usually do not suffer from it and they do not show any symptoms. Recommend not be vaccinated for this disease.
3. It is said that they only have one owner / master in their entire life:
-If they change their owner, it will not be the same, since they are very faithful.
4. They are somewhat skittish and care should be taken when taking them for a walk without a leash, especially at the beginning:
-They must be very used to knowing how to come back with us because a noise can scare them and instinctively they start running.
5. It is believed that the origin of modern hounds is in Ancient Egypt:
-Specifically in the race Tesem, and that were spread by the Phoenicians along the Mediterranean coasts.
Its appearance is reminiscent of a jackal or the image of the Egyptian god Anubis.
Anubis, god of death of ancient Egypt
6. They are admirable in character in many ways:
-They are cheerful, noble, brave, calm and peaceful. They are a little shy but only at the beginning, until they are confident. They are affectionate, intelligent, clean, very special and attentive to the elderly and children.
7. The Podenco stands out for the breadth of its senses of Vision, Smell and Hearing:
-It isone of the most effective hunting dogs when looking for prey.
8. There are several breeds or variants of the Podencos, recognized or not recognized by the International Cynological Federation:
▪Breeds recognized by the FCI
-Cirnecus of Etna
-Pharaoh hound (Pharaonic hound)
▪Breeds not recognized by the FCI
-Podenco Andaluz Maneto
-Kritikos Lagonikos or Podenco de Crete
-Ca coniller de Menorca
-Iron dwarf podencus
-Podenco of Lampedusa or Tunisia
-Podenco Valenciano or Xarnego Valenciano
9. Their life expectancy is approximately 10 - 14 years.
10. The height of adult males is between 66-70 cm. and in females between 57-66 cm. The weight is between 20 and 25 Kg.
1 year old Ibizan Hound
11. They usually get along well with other dogs or pets:
-Preferably get used to them from a young age. They can even live with cats.
Podenco breed "Cirneco del Etna"
12. Tragically this breed of dog, although it is quite unknown, is one of the most neglected:
-Due to the end of the hunting season, excessive offspring, discards, for not meeting the hunter's expectations ...etc.